Sunday, February 23, 2020

Sunday Music: Girl From Ipanema



One of the top jazz hits in history, covered more than anything but the Beatles "Yesterday", a number one in '63, and bossa nova-smooth, sexy, and timeless, crooned by non-professional and virtual novice Astrud Gilberto, the band leader's wife (because unlike his wife, he couldn't sing in English). The Getz/Gilberto album this came from became the first jazz album to win a Grammy as Album Of The Year, and still deserves it in any year.

8 comments:

15Fixer said...

There are some songs/singers/writers that just NEED to be immortalized....... this, Candy Dulfor, Dave Brubeck, Glenn Miller......

Pat H. said...

Joao Gilberto, Astrud was his first wife. Widely known as the father of the Bossa Nova.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%A3o_Gilberto

Cederq said...

A perfect compliment to the weekend.

Anonymous said...

This pairs nicely with 'Take Five'

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!

Semi-Retired said...

This song, Take Five and Baby Elephant Walk are songs from my early childhood. It takes me back to my grandparent's home in Pacheco, CA where I ran around in a sweatshirt with "Here Comes da Judge" on the front.

Can I have my childhood back, please? Give me just one day back there...

Bezzle said...

Elis Regina, "Águas de Março" ("Rains of March")

Anonymous said...

Fan tastic. OG