Kenny, over at Knuckledraggin' , used to reside in Califrutopia, and makes no secret of the fact that he's happy to have decamped to Tennessee. Hey, that's great for you, man. Really.
But he also seems to take perverse delight in whipping up the Usual Idiots and their "Fuck California" mouth-breathing kneejerk responses. In this case, because of the re-institution of lockdowns and other restrictions as Kung Flu here in Idiotville now seeks, at last, to surpass the idiocy of former Kung Flu world death leader NYFS.
Now, to the fisking.
1) Most of the idiots in CA that aren't from Mexico came here from somewhere else: your states. Own that. Native Californians kept this state solid red for over a century. Sorry if that reality is inconvenient for anyone, but there it is.
[You can pick up your toothless, banjo-playing kinfolk any time you want them. Just know that when they destroy this state, and inevitably decamp from here as well, they'll return home, and they'll be bringing their illegal alien gardener, housekeeper, and their eleventy relatives and 20 anchor baby chillins, with them. Hope that works out for all y'all. You've got it coming.]
2) The Mexicans who're here (in the millions), along with the other illegal aliens, are here because the representatives from everywhere else - that'd be your states again - keep letting them come, and have for over 70 years. Ask Florida, Texas, and Arizona how that's working out for them, too. Hey, how about that president-elect Biden, huh? Not building The Wall got you His Fraudulency.
3)There are more hispanics in L.A. county hospitals (as opposed to private ones) because it's last-ditch care, they have no insurance, so that's where they go. And because they have too little education in general, or scientific savvy specifically, and live in large, extended family groups, with 6-8-10-more people from age 1-84 all in the same apartment or small house. It's one big multi-generational COVID party. And they wait until the last second before they'll risk going to the hospital, because someone in the family is usually illegal. QED.
4) The lockdowns ended here for the most part in June, when things were small, and tapering off, Which is what prompted people to be idiots, and blow it up again. The lockdowns weren't re-instituted until about Halloween, but by then it was too late, and stupid people playing stupid games win stupid prizes.
5) Kenny's county, in TN, probably only has about a 1% or less penetration of virus.
SoCal, OTOH, has 10-20%, based on actual results from testing millions and millions of people in this state. If/when TN, or anywhere, gets that many people sick, you're going to be dealing with CA levels of COVID. It's just math, not politics.
6) We aren't having problems because of the lockdowns as much as we're having lockdowns because of stupidity: People thought this was over when things were eased up, and stopped doing common-sense things like they were before, and gravity works.
If you wear a snot-mask, wash your hands, and keep your distance as much as possible, you won't get Kung Flu, and you won't spread Kung Flu. (That's why seasonal flu nationwide is a non-issue: handwashing, masks, and distancing kill a lot of communicable disease spread, just like every actual medical expert - Pasteur, Lister, Semmelweis, Nightingale, Barton, etc. - 100-150 years ago figured out.)
7) CA is paying for, now, the idiots who thought those rules were no longer operative from 4th of July to Thanksgiving. Just like the @$$holes in NYFS who did that from New Year's to Easter. As bad as it is now - and trust me, it's bad, here - we're still bracing for the biggest coming peak, which will be the bigger @$$holes from Christmas and New Year's. About 1-3 weeks from now, most likely. LA and Orange County are completely full, most days, with no capacity to deal with ordinary problems like car accidents, heart attacks, strokes, shootings, stabbings, or any other serious medical issues. So now, people we used to save will die too, and not from COVID. But even more fun: now our traumas are coming in with COVID, to a trauma area that has no ability to function in MOPP Level IV, or decon quickly, nor isolate patients with COVID from the other trauma patients. So if you come in after a car accident without COVID, you're probably going to leave with it anyway. We already have half our trauma docs out with it, and they're no spring chickens. We may lose any or all of them.
At that point, you have no one who can save you from anything that happens, and we're about a hot minute or a bad day from beginning to put patients outside, into "Don't Bother" and "Maybe Worth Trying" piles.
Like Italy did, 11 months ago.
Good luck and best wishes when - not so much if - you or your hometowns have to deal with that someplace with a lot less medical capacity than what we have here. (That'd be 120 hospitals in just 2 counties serving 14M people, BTW, which is twice as many people as live in the entire state of TN, Kenny.) I really hope you don't have to find out about this firsthand, but some people everywhere only learn about hot stoves after pressing their hands on one, instead of learning from other people's mistakes.
That's why I call them Gilligans.
Every place has them.
And yours are going to get you here, given half a chance, just like always.
We're all at the mercy, in any pandemic, of the stupidest 10% of the population.
That's just how it works, everywhere, since ever.
Believe me, we'd stop talking about this if some people would start listening.
We can tell you common sense, and preach cold hard Reality, but we can't make you think and believe.
Apparently, neither can anyone else.
So here we all are.
And for those of you who've escaped this far: your day is coming. The wise prepare for that, and the foolish stick their fingers in their ears and go "La! La! La! I can't hear you!"
See if you can guess how long I feel empathy for you - for any value of that term - when that happens, before my epicaricacy kicks in, and without bounds. We tried warning people jumping off cliffs was bad. Now the crashes and screams afterwards just warm our heart, because that's more oxygen and food left for the rest of us.