Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sunday Music: Feel Like Makin' Love

 File under: Badder Than Bad Company


YouTube's algorithms mysteriously burped this hitherto unknown cover onto my electronic doorstep this week. Always liked the song, but with Susanna Hoffs covering it?!? I wasn't sure. But it's Susanna Hoffs. So of course I watched it. And I freely confess, I don't think I ever wanted to be a microphone stand so much in my life before seeing this.

Warning: You may need a fire extinguisher handy to keep your computer from melting down when you watch this live performance from back in '91. And there was no way I was sitting on it, putting it at the end of the current Sunday Music on-deck list. Because why wait? I'm a giver like that. You're welcome.

The only thing that might have improved it would be the re-formed Bangles covering it. But her back-up band for this performance had some mad chops.

And I'm really glad she wasn't covering the Roberta Flack song with a similar title. Wouldn'a been the same at all.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those beautiful eyes.

Anonymous said...

The Bangles played at my school, long before they released their first LP. Free nighttime show on the quad, stage was really just a concrete pad so they were at ground level and there was no barrier to hold back the nonexistent crowd (and zero security -- we could have shows like that back when people could behave themselves.) I spent the show making eyes at the supremely talented six-foot-tall rehead bass player Michael Steele (real name: Nancy something or other) but Susanna was clearly the star power who would take the group somewhere. She has gotten even better with age.

The SoCal music scene of the late 70s and 80s was pretty awesome. The tight production values of the late disco era, the energy of punk, the playfulness of New Wave, the roots of hair metal, and all those great radio stations to bring it to you -- before everything became Clear Channel-ed, comoditized, mass-produced, and bland. It was fun while it lasted.

Night driver said...

OH MY SWEET LORD!!!

It just got WAY hot in here!!

Nori said...

Day-um! Imagine this as a duet with Paul Rodgers. The audience would have to be peeled off the walls.

Great find,thx for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Aesop, you've given us things to know, read, print and file, good advice, questionable advice, medical knowledge, things to laugh, things that make us go "hmm"... but this right here is the best gift ever. Thanks man!
Original Grandpa

RandyGC said...

I'll be in my bunk

Paul said...

Wow. Used to listen to it driving. Never had a video like that playing in my mind. Wow.

John Wilder said...

Ahhh, my dream in the 1980s - [REMOVED BY CENSOR, BUT INVOLVED VEGETABLE OIL AND THE BANGLES]

Anonymous said...

Hoffs sang a great song very well. I've never heard it before. That was also a great guitar solo played live.

Thank You for the link.

idahobob said...

I need a cold shower!

Anonymous said...

Just found that a few days ago myself. Talk about stomping a Lita Ford addiction flat…

Anonymous said...

Fighting the under-population crisis one forwarded link at a time.

Anonymous said...

Damn sexiest thing i have seen, in a very long time !

June J said...

At 64, I bet she can't move like that anymore!

Aesop said...

Neither can I, but if anyone can arrange a trial, I'll be happy to report back on the results of the experiment.

MAJack said...

Going to need some time alone boys…