Sunday, May 3, 2020

Sunday Music: Leavin' On A Jet Plane


Skip to the song at 1:48
 
John Denver did this song of his better than anyone else, and paired in a duet with the incomparable Cass Elliot, it's absolute gold. Both long departed, and both far too soon. Either one of them had more talent in their little fingers than all the current performers in any record company's catalog. Two voices, one guitar, live. (And check out that back-up band.) This is what music sounded like before beatbox, sampling, autopitch, and T and A, when it took poetry, melody, and harmony to sell a song. Given the choice, we'll take raw talent over just plain raw, and the latter never ages as well as this does.



8 comments:

Bigus Macus said...

From a different America in the last century. I was younger, but weren't we all.

Cederq said...

I hadn't heard this version before and I have to agree, back when music was music and he lost something along the way... talent.

James M Dakin said...

No reason to think music wouldn't mirror the decline and fall of the economy and culture. I don't care for a lot of older music, but I can listen to it. I despise most music in the 90's on, and cannot stand listening to it at all.

Old NFO said...

Great music by two great musicians. No fakery there at all!!!

CJG said...

Amen to that

red forman said...

Agreed. It's a classic. Try Googling 'Lybian on a jet Plane' for kicks and grins.

Chip Anderson said...

I have always very much enjoyed this rendition, thank you for posting it.

GLT said...

Great video. One of Denver's best song writing efforts. I've seen this video before but did not know it was August of 1972. So, didn't see it live. I was busy working around the Cua Viet river that summer.