Friday, June 30, 2023

Housekeeping

 

Not mine; just for reference.
FTR, mine was worse than this.











Somewhere in my travels, I acquired yet another GI canteen cup to put together as part of an entire Go bag of useful items.

Except this one was rusted as shit. Inside and out.

I bought it at the time, because it was the only GI-style one they had (which was what I wanted), and I knew it was salvageable. Plus the rust knocked a few bucks off the asking price.

I have no idea how some stupid sonofabitch managed to rust up a stainless canteen cup, but the orange patina inside and out was unmistakable. I suspect the miscreant private somehow fornicated it up, and was too lazy to fix it, and too frightened of the obligatory platoon sergeant ass-chewing he had coming, so he palmed it off into the surplus world, until it came to me.

Much like the story of eight Marine privates locked in a room with a sandpile and eight crowbars*, this piece of kit proved that nothing the military issues is idiot-proof, because idiots are so ingenious. (Or maybe his doctor just told him to get more iron in his diet. IDK)

It has sat on my shelf in plain sight for some months, daring me to remedy its condition, until today.

I too am lazy, but only in the "I ain't got time for this noise" version of "I'm not going to sit here for five hours with steel wool, Ajax, and CLP scrubbing like hell until this thing is serviceable."

We are older, and now have tools to do the sweating for us.

We pulled out the Dremel 4000, having also recently acquired an assortment of flat and cup brushes (brass, carbon steel, and stainless) to undertake the task.

After selecting the brass cup brush, and tightening it into place (and wearing eye pro, naturally; if you'd seen how many tiny brass bristles were strewn about afterwards, none too friendly to corneas, you'd understand why) we began the effort.

Ten careful minutes later, after staring at it untouched for several months, we have now a shiny newly rust-free stainless steel canteen cup again.

(Work tip: the cup got hot wherever we were working. The shaft of the cup brush hotter still, and we gave it a little breather halfway through.)

We'll keep an eye on some of the darker spots, lest they return to their former state, but we can now put the cup into the stove, put the canteen in the cup, and slip the steel cooking cover behind it, and fasten the whole to the incomplete Go bag, now including water, a means to boil it, and a way to cook almost anything, anywhere, with sticks of wood or a fuel bar.

The sins of Private Smuckatelli have now been expiated, and the Go bag is the better for it.



*[Revisited an hour later, the privates were intact, but two crowbars were broken in half, two were bent double, two were inseparably fused together, and two were completely missing, even after sifting the sandpile. True story.]

14 comments:

RandyGC said...

For future reference, I've found Naval Jelly a great way to get rid of surface rust. Have cleaned up many a communications mast section that way, prior to repainting them.

Aesop said...

Noted. But clean-up afterwards is a lot easier with the Dremel.

Anonymous said...

I'm concerned about how you finished the tale with,"True Story"

For me to overcome my innate gullibility I expect to be informed that 'This is no shit'.

So I remain uncertain.

Jim Wetzel said...

Making that vessel shipshape was undoubtedly a character-building thing, and I applaud you. I'd have been tempted to give it a decent effort with steel wool, give it a good dishwashing-type washing, and then figure that whatever wasn't dislodged by that treatment would enter my water or coffee or whatever to only a negligible degree ... and, heck, iron's supposed to be good for us anyway, right? In moderation, at least.

Still, my hat's off to you. Mind the glare from my bald scalp.

Anonymous said...

Might want to passivate to keep rust from coming back, especially if you ripped the top surface later off.

https://www.theruststore.com/What-is-stainless-steel-passivation-W85.aspx

Spray bottle of citrisurf for just over $20, there might be other home-brew options ...

Aesop said...

And then, I looked up "passivate" and came up with this:
https://www.besttechnologyinc.com/passivation-systems/what-is-passivation/

Thanks for the tip.
I'm filing that under "Learn something new every day".

And you're proof that one good anonymous commenter makes up for ten jackasses.

Anonymous said...

Way to go. It seems like a lot of effort was put forth to save it, but it was good practice for when items are no longer available and you have to make do with what you have.

Has anyone ever heard of one of these pots but for the U.S. 2 quart canteen ? One that fits inside the standard G.I. 2 quart shoulder bag ? I am considering having one made, just for kicks.

The bladder itself is 7" x 7" x 3". A stainless steel pot that has sides about 3" tall would b3e 147 cu. inches or 81.4 cubic ounces. So more family meal size. Also boiling water capacity would be raised. One end over the coals, the opposite where heat is not present and can be taken from more comfortably.

Just thinking out loud. The unit might be too heavy for comfortable carry. Worthy of thought maybe.

Aesop said...

Anybody they issued the 2 qt to, already had a 1 qt c canteen cup.

They did make a cup for the arctic/cold weather 1 qt canteen though, which is bigger because the canteen was double-wall insulated.
Mainly because you need a crapload of snow (about a 10:1 ratio) to boil down to one cup of water.

Tucanae Services said...

Anon at 10:04 beat me to it. Another good product -- Ospho Rust Converter. I use it on metal fence after knocking off paint chips, etc. But NOT for your application since you might use the cup to cook food.

Stainless surprisingly degrades if left fully immersed for an extended period of time. Oxidation that usually destroys most metals lays down a protective layer in the process for stainless.

Survivormann99 said...

Aesop,

All you needed to do was to place the cup in white vinegar overnight. No elbow grease necessary or bristle debris involved. No muss, no fuss.

I did this with rust on a stainless steel GI mess kit piece a week ago. Voila!

Aesop said...

I'll try that at the next opportunity.

Trumpeter said...

Go to the commercial restaurant supply. They have stainless steel scrubbies. Mean enough to take the black off cast iron and last over a year for me.

Linda Fox said...

You need to post before and after pictures

Aesop said...

One of many things on my To-Do List, Linda.