Monday, March 17, 2014

Flick Pick: The Quiet Man

The Quiet Man
(Republic, 1952)

A film that almost didn't get made, and yet has gone on to become a perennial favorite and screen classic. Turned down for production by every studio in Hollywood, John Ford was only able to get financing for it from Republic after agreeing to bring stars John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara and make them a cavalry western first (Rio Grande). This film is thus the second pairing of the two, and one for the ages. Beautifully shot in Technicolor on location in Ireland, the film was nominated for seven Oscars including Best Picture (the only Republic film ever to hold that distinction) and Best Supporting Actor for Victor McLaglen's larger-than-life screen performance here; it won two, for Best Color Cinematography, and for an all-time record-setting fourth Best Director honor, to John Ford. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect choice--you have great taste in movies.

Have to say...I've read pretty much all of both your blogs in the last couple of weeks. You're an amazing writer with equally amazing stories to tell. I hope there is a book or screenplay some day--you deserve a larger audience. As a hospital veteran (on the admin side...some of us really are good guys AND we get it!) what you have to say really resonates. If I'm ever busted up enough to require an ER visit I hope my nurses are as good as you. Thanks.

Aesop said...

Thanks.

Picking good movies is much easier than making them, but I'm doing what I can to take a crack at the latter.

I don't have an axe to grind with hospital administrators per se, it's just that there are far too few good ones and far too many stupid ones.

Just like with movies.

Retired Spook said...

This, or The Alamo, is my favorite John Wayne movie. Which is which is a toss-up, most days.

Thanks for reminding me, I haven't seen either one in far too long